Monday, October 13, 2008

October 13th Hip Hoop Update


Since I practice most everyday, its becoming a bit hard for me to remember exactly what happened each day that I hooped... so I will just start giving weekly overviews as best as I can. Kristen and I hooped in the lovely Arisugawa park. She taught me a great kick it in the air pick up, and for that day, I learned a behind the back pass! The pass has since evaded me, but Im quite sure it will come back soon. I worked on my booty bump a bit that day, and Kristen pointed out to me that I move in an arc when Im bumpin. Its something to think about....

Saturday, I went to a lovely Hooplovers class. I loved the huge space, and the small class size. I really sweated it out that day, and feel like the hoop was spinning around my body for at least an 1 hour 45 min of that 2 hour class. Usually, in the classes I have attended, there is a little more downtime with working on isolations, or talking getting advice on new tricks. We worked on looking sexier with the hoop- what does your face look like? hands? feet? We also did an excercise I loved, where towards the end we were changing what we were doing every 5 seconds. It was tough, but when I got home and looked at the vids of the hoopdancers I really loved, they are consistently changing what they are doing... This is my newest challenge. We also did some hooping blindfolded. It really is a great feeling, you can let go, and let everything just pour out. I cant do that at the park at night, so I was happy to have the chance to do it in class. I also kind of learned how to get into the booty bump position. I kind of have to roll to the right a bit to get it, but its a start. Now... to get OUT of the booty bump...

Onto Sunday, where I went to Nagisa Music Festival and hooped with Deanne... We werent on a stage but we drew a crowd whenever the hoops started spinning. Lots of people wanted to try, and there were extra hoops so they could. I was a little nervous at first for two reasons. One, there were alot of people. Two, I was hooping next to Deanne who is just amazing. Usually, when I am hooping out in public, its with people who are at a similiar level to mine. That being said, I only thought about that before I started hooping and about 2 minutes into hooping. Once I started dancing, my worries just spun off into oblivion. I had a great time dancing to the very funky beats. I dropped the hoop on several occassions. but just smiled and picked it up and started up again. Its pretty easy to keep a smile on your face hooping when everyone is smiling at you. You can feel the hoop love! Thanks D for giving me the chance to come out with you.

This weeks hoop focus--


  • remembering to work with both sides of my body, and spinning in both directions

  • make the tricks I already know look more solid/fluid, rather than learning new tricks -aside from standing still shoulder hooping, I have to keep working on it bc its driving me a little crazy that I cant do it-

  • adding grace, sexiness, thoughtfullness into my hoop dancing...

  • 5ish second changes

  • ISOLATIONS

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Look at you and your hoop wings!

Independently in my own practice the other day, I was trying to switch tricks every 4-8 beats of the music. It was a challenge to keep the pace and to pull another trick out of my head that fast. I'll keep at it, though.

Wish I were so darned busy with work. I miss classes!

TokyoMade(東京メイド) said...

Sunday was awesome! It is a really cool experience to hoop ON SHOW! I really get wrapped up in the spin, the music, the flow and go into my own little world (hooping can be anti social at times!!) but I noticed how cool you were with it all and how awesome you looked! I am glad you were having a great time. It is a new way to experience the music and to be part of a festival.

I loved your awareness of what you did when you dropped the hoop. It is not whether or not you drop it, it is how carefree, playful or sexy you make your retrieval.

I had a really fun time with you! I know you go to a lot of festivals so I hope I can make it to the next one with you! Let me know! d xx

leila marie said...

Glitterball rocked my socks off! It was an honor and a pleasure to share the stage with you and be a part of your Hooping Journey!
I only wish my camera guy was less fixated on the pirate snatch and was able to get better shots of you guys! Next time Gadget!